Can you turn a crisis into an opportunity?
The CPA Trendlines Busy Season Barometer
Benchmarks, trends & analysis
Join the survey. Get the results.
By CPA Trendlines Research
Coronavirus—Covid-19—is coming. Don’t imagine it won’t reach your community. It will. And even if you manage to keep it out of your office, and even if its lethality is less than the flu, just the threat of Covid-19 is already impacting many tax and accounting firms.
How accountants are preparing for the worst:
- Do you have the portals, web-based apps, and cloud accounts necessary for staff to work from home? Have you tested them? Maybe you should have an everybody-works-from-home-day drill.
- Do you have policies and procedures in place for home-based work?
- Do individual staff have plans for caring for their family without disrupting work?
- Have you prepared clients for the possibility of electronic delivery of data and documentation? Do they understand what to do?
- Are you ready to request filing extensions due to staff or client illness or local quarantine?
- Have you established sanitation procedures for your office?
- Do you have a vision of the worst-case scenario? This could include a) long-term quarantines of your office, other businesses, and all clients, b) widespread illness and absence of staff, c) general economic downturn, d) interruptions in cash flow, e) slower than usual responses from the IRS, and f) well…what else can go wrong?
The CPA Trendlines Busy Season Barometer has always asked a variety of poignant questions about everything from the status of firms to the state of the economy. This is the first year, however, that it includes a question about disease.
Go PRO Today: Choose one of these great offers
Monthly Plan, $24.97
Save $5/month (17%)!
7-day, no-risk free trial
then billed to your credit card monthly.
(Cancel any time)
Regular monthly rate: $29.97
Yearly Plan, $249.95
Save $110/year (30%)!
7-day, no-risk free trial
then billed to your credit card annually.
Regular annual rate: $359.95
Best for occasional use.
Get instant access, expires in 24 hours.
One-time, non-recurring, charge of $12.99
CPA Trendlines Research
About the Author
CPA Trendlines contributors are experts recognized in the profession as leading influencers, thought leaders, practitioners, professionals, and advisors.
See all our
expert contributors here.
They help us deliver the freshest research and analysis in the tax, accounting, and finance professions. We call it "actionable intelligence" for your firm, your business, your clients, and your career.
With more than 200,000 followers, subscribers, and clients, CPA Trendlines is the largest independent community in the profession.
Go PRO to get all the members-only benefits.
Here you'll find exclusive tools, tips, trends, and guidance, plus exclusive research, insights, and commentary on the most pressing issues and fastest-changing trends. No fluff. No hype. Just the facts and figures, insights and implications. What Professionals need for smarter, faster, data-based decision-making to advance their careers and their organizations.
– Rick Telberg
Find more professional resources by your favorite expert authors at:
The CPA Trendlines Store