More than 40 tax seasons distilled into 66 essential tools, tips & techniques
By Edward Mendlowitz, CPA, ABV, PFS
– Practice-proven, easy-to-use checklists.
– More than 120 pages of list after list.
– Thousands of important items, savvy ideas, and not-to-be-overlooked details.
– Buy the PDF eBook and get the customizable Word document at no additional charge. (Link included in PDF)
About the Tax Season Checklists eBook
These checklists have been prepared for the guidance of fellow professionals and colleagues and for no other purpose. Anyone using these illustrations and ideas assumes full responsibilities for its use.
These checklists have evolved over the years and are, in some respect, a collaboration of professionals seeking to improve the quality of their practice and create methods to work more effectively and efficiently.
Some of the checklists are formatted to be printed and hung on walls as posters such as the Key for a Successful Tax Season, CPA Firm Business Model and Advantages of Tax Season pages. Since the checklists are presented in Word format, they can be reformatted and customized to suit a particular practice if desired.
You are welcome to use the checklists in your office without attribution. If you use them in a speech handout or presentation outside your firm, you are also welcome to use them, but I would appreciate an acknowledgment of the source such as: Prepared by Edward Mendlowitz, CPA, Partner, WithumSmith+Brown, PC.
Enjoy and use and have a great tax season!
– Edward Mendlowitz, CPA
- Key For A Successful Tax Season - Can Be Posted On Your Wall
- Accounting Firm Business Model – Can Be Posted
- Advantages Of Tax Season – Chart Can Be Reproduced And Distributed To Staff Or Posted
- Goals Of Tax Season
- Preparer’s Pre-Review Procedural Checklist
- Reviewer’s Checklist For Individual Tax Returns
- Reviewer’s Checklist For Business Tax Returns
- Tax Season Follow Up Form
- Reviewer’s Pre-Review Of Complicated Transactions
- Top 12 Tax Return Preparation Errors
- Checklist Of 45 Tax Filing Errors Clients Should Avoid
- Top 10 Client Pet Peeves
- Reviewer Qualification Test
- Answers (No peeking!)
- What Makes A Good Client
- Things To Consider When Accepting A New Client And Establishing A Fee Arrangement
- Ways To Make Tax Season Better And More Fun For You And Your Staff
- Additional Ways To Excite Staff That Are Not During Tax Season
- Things To Consider While Training Staff
- Staff Development And Growth Checklist
- Ways To Evaluate Staff Tax Season Performance
- Checklist Of Questions To Ask A Non-Filer Who Wants To File Their Delinquent Returns
- Preparing Bills For Tax Returns
- Additional Services Checklist For Clients
- Sample Listing Of Additional Services To Tax Clients
- 50 Ways To Make More Money During Tax Season Including Increasing And Improving Productivity
- 21 Top Reasons For Lack of Tax Client Retention
- 10 Ways To Stay In Control
- Why Should A Client Use You To Prepare Their Tax Return?
- Why A Client Should Use You To Prepare Their Tax Return
- Advantages Of A CPA Preparing Tax Returns
- Tax Department Services
- Tax Research Request
- Checklist Of Items To Put In Permanent File
- Organization Minutes Checklist
- Elder Care And Family Bill Paying And Planning Checklist Or For Family Office Services
- Ways To Get Additional Tax Clients
- Ways To Get Additional Business Clients
- Checklist For Change Projects
- Preliminary Document Request For A Business Valuation Or For A Consultation Engagement
- Financial Planning Engagement
- Ira Required Minimum Distribution “Kit.”
- Buy Sell Agreement Issues To Consider Checklist
- Sample Term Sheet Descriptions For Bank Loan
- Checklist For Starting A Business
- Checklist Of Services For A Client Buying Or Selling A Business
- Questions For Interviewing A Bookkeeper
- Controller’s Checklist
- Daily Flash Numbers’ Report
- Checklist Of Reasons For A CPA Firm Merger Or Acquisition
- Credit Card Authorization To Accounting Firm
- Sample Tax Notice Service Letter
- Bill Accompanying The Tax Notice Service Described In The Letter
- Letter To Inform A Client Of A Fee Increase For The Coming Year
- Letter To Inform A Client Of A Minimum Fee That Is Higher Than They Should Pay
- Post Tax Season Retrospective Checklist
- Getting Rid Of Tax Preparation Clutter
- Ways To Reduce Tax Preparation Fees
- Getting Married: Financial Planning Issues
- 18 Reasons For Obtaining Extensions
- Obituary Questionnaire
- Sample Employment Policies
- Year End Dates That May Affect Your Company (Withum Chart Sent To Clients)
- Tax Season Readiness: Workflow Checklist (Used With Permission Of Doc.It)
- Withum “Dress For Your Day” Manual (Internal Withum Booklet)
- Minimum Fee Schedule
About the Author: Edward Mendlowitz
Partner, WithumSmith+Brown, PC. AICPA designations: PFS, ABV, CFF, CITP, CGMA. One of Accounting Today’s 100 Most Influential People. Author of three tax practice management books published by the AICPA and contributor to AICPA Management of Accounting Practice Handbook. Winner of the Lawler Award for best article published in 2001 in Journal of Accountancy. Article titled: “Nine Ways to Make Your Firm More Exciting and Profitable.” Article in January 2011 Journal of Accountancy was that year’s most viewed article and was titled: “Maximizing Tax Season Efficiency.” Author of 24 professional books including the bestselling How to Review Tax Returns (CPATrendlines.com); author of over 1000 articles and blogs, and developer and presenter of more than 250 continuing education courses and speeches. Has testified twice before House Ways and Means Committee on tax reduction, equity, and reform; admitted to practice before U.S. Tax Court; and was an adjunct MBA instructor for 11 years.
Tax Season Checklists