We asked, you responded with some great ideas.
By Hitendra Patil
A few days back, I wrote Create Your “Not-To-Do’s” List. We got some interesting feedback from accountants. Here are some tasks that accountants want to stop doing themselves.
- Stop fixing the Ethernet cables into the router. (Get the IT guy to do it. Or move entirely to cloud.)
- Stop importing bank statements into QuickBooks. (Get someone else to populate all data.)
- Stop writing instruction / advice emails to staff in the same office. (Talk instead.)
- Stop entering data from invoices into accounting software. (Get someone else to populate all data.)
- Stop taking backups home. (Move to cloud.)
- Stop creating vendor / customer details in accounting software. (Get someone else to populate all data.)
- Stop updating my website myself. (Get it done by the specialists.)
- Stop entering line items into tax software myself. (Get someone else to populate all data.)
- Stop letting incoming calls going to voicemail. (I missed calls from prospects.)
- Stop solving basic problems that staff brings to me. (Train them instead.)
- Stop drinking too much coffee. (Take more deep breaths instead.)
- Stop making some Excel sheet calculations. (Set up custom reports instead.)
- Stop asking people where the documents are. (Use workflow / portal software instead.)
- Stop visiting some client offices for “doing” work. (Get them to scan source documents to my office.)
- Stop going to office half a day each week. (Go out networking instead.)
- Stop waiting for referrals. (Start inbound and outbound marketing instead.)
- Stop turning down new clients. (Get new capacity soon.)
Are there any we’ve left off this list?