32 quantum leaps to improve your accounting firm’s productivity.
By Roman H. Kepczyk, CPA.CITP, CGMA
Now including the latest findings from the CPA Firm Management Association Information Technology Surveys.
Links to download your PDF ebook will appear on the order confirmation screen after purchase and in your email receipt from firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CPA Trendlines EZ-PDF ebooks are copyright-protected and licensed for sole individual use. Reproduction and distribution prohibited by law. Downloadable to five personal devices.
Loaded with actionable benchmarks and recommendations ready for immediate implementation. Based on annual studies of more than a hundred CPA firms.
Only "Quantum of Paperless" delivers:
1. Today’s 32 mission-critical digital best practices that will push your firm forward with quantum leaps in productivity
2. A structured process to prioritize those opportunities
3. Solutions targeted to your firm and your clients.
Every accounting firm is unique in the production processes they have developed over time to service clients, produce tax returns, complete audits, enter time, and produce billing. While each firm is unique, the transition from traditional manual processes to today’s digital solutions is remarkably similar and it is primarily a matter of identifying where the firm is today and implementing the next proven process that firm personnel are sufficiently capable and willing to adopt.
This Guide is broken into 32 mission critical quantum leaps where your firm production can be optimized. In each section, proven solutions that accounting firms are successfully implementing and using today are listed. Where appropriate, the results of the CPA Firm Management Association’s Digitally Driven Firm and Information Technology surveys are included to support recommendations.
Congratulations on your first step in taking control of your firm’s future technology direction. Most Partners and Administrators who oversee the firm’s technology decisions are already working full time at their existing responsibilities. Most don’t have the time, energy, or internal resources to become experts with every aspect of firm production, let alone to research and decide on the broad range of optimum accounting technology solutions to implement.
This Guide is written specifically to help you understand:
- Today’s thirty-two mission-critical digital best practices that will push your firm forward with quantum leaps in productivity.
- A structured process to prioritize those opportunities.
- Solutions targeted to your firm and your clients.
Working under the premise of the Pareto Principle, the goal of this Guide is to expose you to the 80% of important firm optimization opportunities in a clear, condensed, and comprehensive format that will require 20% of your time to thoroughly identify and understand.
TO MAKE QUANTUM LEAPS IN YOUR FIRM’S PRODUCTIVITY:
1. Optimize your time by reading this Guide in one sitting, which should take between one and two hours.
2. Complete the Firm Optimization Checklist found at the back of this guide while you are reading and document thoughts as they are fresh in your mind.
3. Put it away for a day and then re-evaluate your prioritization, focusing on the top one to three initiatives in each area.
4. If other personnel can provide valuable input, have each individual read the Guide and complete their own Checklist.
5. Meet as a team to set priorities at a firmwide level.
As with all strategic initiatives, the key is to identify the most important firm opportunities and assign accountability to one person for that task, providing them the requisite personnel and resources to accomplish the task. It is always better to focus on one to three items through completion, rather than “wishful” thinking on a larger laundry list.
"Roman Kepczyk is at Mount Everest regarding his extensive knowledge in helping CPA firms improve their technology and efficiency. Quantum of Paperless is a must read for partners and administrators who "Captain" the vision and direction of their technology investments. Roman is not only a premier advisor but also an outstanding committed professional." – Robert J. Gallagher
"As a leader in CPA firm technology, Roman Kepczyk is one of the most admired and trusted technology consultants serving the CPA profession. To the nearly 1,000 members of the Association for Accounting Administration, the common question when it comes to technology planning and implementation is, 'What does Roman recommend?' Addressing the sometimes overwhelming issues in moving a firm into the paperless world, Kepczyk demonstrates his skills, not only as an author and consultant, but also as an experienced teacher and guide. This is the handbook for partners and administrators to use to take control of their firm's technology direction." – Rita Keller
"In this slim, easy-to-read volume, Kepczyk has captured all the essential information about Technology for the modern CPA firm. Not only does he provide good information, he includes the tools you need to analyze your firm's situation and make the right moves ahead. The advice is current, succinct and direct -- this is a "must read" for any CPA in practice today. Highly recommended." – Chris Frederiksen
"Search for the ideal IT consultant for the CPA profession no longer. Roman Kepczyk's new book, Quantum of Paperless, solidifies his reputation as the preeminent CPA firm IT expert in the country, further building on what the CPA profession has known for 20 years. He's a CPA so he knows our business. His book shares the hands-on experience obtained from working exclusively with CPA firms from coast to coast. His writing is easy to understand (i.e., no techno-garble), yet hard-hitting when it needs to be. Roman has always been an excellent teacher and this makes his book a joy to read. Quite simply, Quantum of Paperless is a must-read for CPA firms from sole practitioners to huge firms. It packs quite a wallop – 32 mission critical suggestions for running an efficient, state-of-the-art IT function." – Marc Rosenberg
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Roman H. Kepczyk, CPA.CITP, CGMA is Director of Consulting for Xcentric, LLC. His primary focus is helping firms throughout North America effectively use information technology by implementing digital best practices and directing them towards today’s “less paper” or Digital CPA firm by optimizing their tax, audit, client services, and administrative production workflows.
"The #1 CPA firm IT expert nationwide"
– Marc Rosenberg, CPA
He has spent the past 22 years consulting exclusively with CPA firms and before that, ten years with the CPA firm of Henry & Horne, Arizona’s largest regional firm, where he was the partner in charge of the firm's Management Advisory Services and PC Consulting practices. Roman also served as the firm’s administrative partner where he oversaw internal accounting, marketing, human resources, and was responsible for the creation and implementation of the firm's technology plan and budget.
He is a former member of the AICPA PCPS Executive Committee and a former Chairman of the AICPA's Information Technology Executive Committee. He has served as a member of other AICPA initiatives, including the Special Committee on Enhanced Business Reporting, eBusiness Task Force, IT Best Practices, IT Research, IT Practices Committees, and Group of 100 projects. HAlso, he is a former Chairman of the AICPA Top Technologies Task Force.
Roman was named by INSIDE Public Accounting as one of the profession’s Most Recommended Consultants every year from 2004 through 2017 and Accounting Today’s Most Influential People for the years 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, and 2000 through 2005. CPA Practice Advisor also named him as one of the profession’s Top 25 Thought Leaders every year of the list from 2011through 2017.
Roman is also an Advisory Board Member to the CPA Firm Management Association and has served on the Board of Directors of the Arizona Society of CPAs. On a technical level, Roman is an AICPA Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) and a Certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt (LSS BB). He authored technology chapters for the PPC MAP Handbook, PPC Guide to Paperless Engagements, and sections of the AICPA MAP Handbook.
TABLE of CONTENTS
- Forward by Marc Rosenberg
- Forward by Roman H. Kepczyk
- Your Hardware
- Monitor Real Estate-More is Better
- Scanners: Capturing Source Documents
- Desktops vs. Laptops
- Scheduled Server Replacement and the Cloud
- Offsite Backup/Internet
- Windows 7 to 10 Transition
- Microsoft Office 201x vs. Office 365
- Proactively Managed Application Updates
- Remote Access Technology.
- Internet Bandwidth
- Wireless Broadband Access
- Digital Communications: Unified Messaging
- Capture Firm Knowledge
- Document Management
- Document Retention Policy and Accountability
- Digital Tax Workflow System
- Optimum Scanning Applications/Procedures
- Inbound Digital Transfer Tools
- Firm Procedures Manuals
- Audit Field Equipment
- Audit Efficiency Training
- Daily Time/Expense Entry
- Digital Report Delivery
- Online Banking/Remote Deposit
- Digital Accounts Payable Processing
- External Secure File Transfer: Portal/Encryption
- Standardized QB/Accounting Support
- Centralized Contact Administration
- Mandated Training Program/Accountability
- Independent Security Review/Monitoring/Training
- Develop Monthly IT “Flash” Reports
- Updated Strategic Plan/Budget
- Next Steps
- 2018 CPAFMA Information Technology Survey Findings
- 2019 CPAFMA Digitally Driven Firm Survey Findings
Quantum of Paperless: The Partner’s Guide to Accounting Firm Optimization